Friday, November 7, 2014

Bittersweet

Today was bittersweet. It was one of my favorite days in La Carpio but also sad as I won't be going back. My morning started with a great game of duck, duck, goose (pato, pato, ganso). I was so excited I was able to get the game started with my limited Spansih. The kids were running around wild and figured a little structure might be a good thing. It worked well and everyone had fun. As the morning continued Teresa, their teacher, asked me to read a book with English and Spansih - she only had to correct me once. It was to teach simple words to them in English. It was fun! We brought a special snack today - we were all talking about fall and missing fall things so we made caramel apples. They were yummy! All in all a great day with lots of smiles and love. One of my favorite things is when we are all sitting on the steps or playing on the floor and someone comes and sits down in your lap. It always makes me feel special and loved. I only hope the past two weeks that I have helped them to feel special and loved. It was hard to say goodbye to one little girl named Luziana. She is little and not in the class yet but mom has been bringing her and staying with her. She is precious and we have bonded this week. She will play with me now and not cry for her mom - that's major progress. Yesterday her mom asked how long I was staying. I hated telling her Friday was my last day. 

I will miss these smiles :)


Today was also my last day of Spanish classes. Unfortunately classes are not offered at the turtles. I am making progress. My vocabulary is growing and I have learned how to conjugate verbs in the present tense. Today I had an introduction to the past tense. I think I am going to continue classes when I get home. Ana and Rolo are both great teachers and I am grateful for everything they have taught me. 

It's crazy that it's almost been two weeks. That's not very long. However, in some respects I feel like I have been here forever. It's weird. Everything is so familiar. I have made friends with the random people who are on similar schedules that I cross paths with. It will be weird when I don't see them next week after I leave. I'll miss hearing "hey cleveland" - that's what Kalee calls me. I watched part of the Cavs home opener with him. Or having someone walk by and say hi. I know I will meet new friends at the turtles but I'll miss familiar faces. 

Tomorrow morning I embark on an adventure to La Fortuna and Monteverde with Jess and Simone. We are leaving bright and early on a 6:15 bus. We'll be back on Monday so you may not here from me until then. Hopefully I will have fun pictures of Arenal volcano, the hot springs, waterfalls,cloud forest and more. 

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Those kids are ridiculously cute. You look great too! Glad you are enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete