Saturday, November 22, 2014

Hasta Luego

*I started this entry on my way back to the states and finished after I got home.

It's never fun to say goodbye so instead I will say "see you later." I can't believe that it has been a month since I arrived in Costa Rica and I can't believe I am on my way home. A month of meeting new people, making new friends, learning a new language, experiencing a different culture, living in the city and living in the jungle, exploring new places, trying new foods, stepping out of my comfort zone (on more than one occasion), challenging myself, listening to and observing my surroundings, traveling by bus, walking (to/from the bus, around town, to the beach, on the beach), playing with children, giving hugs, helping protect the turtle population, cleaning up the beach and working hard at "camp", appreciating nature, living each day to the fullest and loving life is over. (Not that I intend to stop living each day to the fullest or to stop loving life - that I hope will continue for a long time).

My trip to Costa Rica was an incredible experience and it is like nothing I have ever done before. I learned a lot about a beautiful country and its people and I learned a lot about myself. I embarked on a journey completely on my own - feeling scared and excited and not knowing what to expect. I'm not always up for doing things on my own and definitely prefer to do things with someone else. It was so good for me to take this journey by myself. It forced me to be independent and do what I wanted to do. I was in charge of my own destiny and it was up to me to make the most of my situation and take advantage of everything that came my way. I was determined to see and do as much as possible. It was important to give 110% to my volunteer project but I wanted to make sure I didn't waste time or opportunities for me either. 

My first two weeks were filled with smiles and hugs as I devoted my mornings to spending time with the children of La Carpio. A portion of my afternoons were dedicated to learning as much Spanish as possible. Week 1 I had a daily private lesson with Ana - she was a fantastic teacher. Week 2 I was in a group lesson with Amanda and Sellus - Rolo was our teacher - he was equally as good but in a different way. My down time was filled with walking, exploring and making friends. While I was in San Jose I also took advantage of being able to travel. The first weekend was filled with two one day tours. I took a day trip tour to Manuel Antonio National Park where I not only saw animals, plants, a waterfall and a gorgeous beach but where I had the opportunity to spend the day with some really neat people from around the world. The following day was a day trip to the Doka coffee plantation, Poas volcano and La Paz waterfalls with my friends Jess and Simone - I confirmed I still don't like coffee. The second weekend I traveled with Jess and Simone to La Fortuna and Monteverde. We went hiking, zip lining and ate some delicious food. It was kind of like a choose your own adventure book - we didn't pre plan anything - just figured it out as we went along. 

My second two weeks were filled with lots of walking and hardwork. My time in Drake Bay was a completely new experience. Living in Progreso, a town with the population of around 150 was amazing. It was such a simple life style. I enjoyed working with turtles and also doing things to improve the community. I will miss waking up to the sound of roosters cock-a-doodle-dooing as well as dogs barking and the aroma of breakfast. I worked hard in Drake Bay - I enjoyed the projects we did because I felt like we accomplished things - cleaning up the beach, digging the bio garden and more. Patrolling the beach was exhausting and fantastic. Seeing the turtle and helping relocate the turtle eggs was incredible. Releasing babies into the ocean was fantastic. Drake Bay is a special place and I am thankful for my experience there. 

I am back home and as my mom says, "There's no place like home." She's right. It's nice to be home and awesome to reconnect with family and friends although I already miss my new friends. That being said I am so grateful for my experience. I am so lucky to have been able to take advantage of this incredible opportunity. My month in Costa Rica reminded me of how lucky I am and on Thursday (Thanksgiving) I will have so much more to be thankful for. 

No comments:

Post a Comment