Sunday, November 2, 2014

Make new friends, but keep the old...

I am lucky to have a wonderful circle of friends. From Ohio to Atlanta, DC to Massachusettes and beyond. Thank you all for being so supportive especially throughout the last few months - moving home and going on this adventure. 

My circle of friends has grown this week to include other people volunteering with me as well as those I have travelled with. Yesterday I met some awesome people from Denver, Michigan, Ireland and India. It's so neat how a group of complete strangers can bond in a day. 

Today I had the opportunity to travel with two of my friends that I met at orientation on Monday. We went to the Doka Coffee Plantation - where I tried really hard to like coffee. It didn't work. Although the chocolate covered coffee beans weren't too bad :) 
Our next stop was at the Poaz Volcano. It is one of 8 active volcanos in Costa Rica. It doesn't have lava but there is steam activity. It was a very cloudy and misty day so our guide didn't think we would see much but we still made the walk to the lookout. Although the view wasn't great - it did clear a little to get some cool pictures. 
Our last stop of the day was to the La Paz Waterfall. It was much more than a waterfall - kind of a cross between a nature preserve and a zoo. The waterfalls were gorgeous but my other favorite part was the butterfly garden. The butterflies would let you hold them and they would land on you. It brought back special memories of one of our camp sunshine kids. After she died, her mom would always say she came for a visit when she saw butterflies outside. I thought of her a lot this afternoon. The picture below of the butterfly on the leaf has her name as part of its scientific name. Pretty cool! Miss you SW. 
The butterflies were just plain awesome!
As were the waterfalls. Here's a pic of Simone, Jessica and I...

"Thank you for being a friend..." (Golden Girls)


No comments:

Post a Comment