Monday, November 17, 2014

Vivero

This afternoon I am responsible for the Vivero, the hatchery. We guard the hatchery 24 hours a day. There is a morning shift, an afternoon shift and then an overnight shift. I am here from noon until 6pm. My host mom packed me lunch. I got to ride a bike out to the end of the runway, walked across to north beach and Max canoed me across to south beach. Michael gave me the important yellow books that can never be left alone and he headed back towards camp. The yellow books have information on every nest and where they are located. Max was waiting to take him across and he was excited to know that there was a bike to ride back. Michael had been here since 5am. Riding a bike is much faster than walking all the way back to camp. 

While I am at the hatchery, I am protecting it from poachers but I am also here in case a nest hatches and we have baby turtles. There are 4 nests that have incubated long enough (45-50 days) but no signs of babies yet. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. It's only 3:30 and I am here until 6. 

Here's a few pics of the hatchery and our little shelter. Also a few pics of a beautiful macaw that I saw while sitting here. 
The rest of my day was great. A group of other volunteers cleaning up the beach stopped to say hi. But otherwise it was very uneventful. No babies but my shift ended with a beautiful sunset. 

1 comment:

  1. Michele, I love reading about your adventures. What an amazing experience. Your photos and words are so vivid. Continue to be safe and enjoy every minute (I know you are)! Take care, Heather Kunz

    ReplyDelete